Fridays, September 6, 13, and 27, 2019 | 5:00 – 10:00 p.m.
Market Square, Downtown Pittsburgh
Welcoming Pittsburgh and the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership are teaming up to pilot World Square, a platform to celebrate, promote, and welcome our local international communities.
RSVP to the Facebook event here!
Across three Friday evenings in September, Market Square will become a showcase for businesses, artists, makers, performers, food purveyors, and more from across the various international and newcomer communities.
Friday, September 27
- All for All: an immigrant-inclusive initiative, All for All works with artists to discover opportunities to market their products, develop their business, and provide them with tools to better market and sell
- Allegheny Immigration Group: provides advice and guidance in regards to immigration to the United States
- Alquisiras Paleteria: a popsicle and ice cream store, their goal is to provide customers with access to authentic Mexican flavors
- Authentically African by Moa: West African fashion and accessories
- Bae Bae’s Kitchen: Korean-inspired, healthy, organic, and local cuisine
- Casa Brasil PGH: Brazilian pop-up restaurant
- Costa Ricart: handmade crafts from reused materials
- El Gusto Criollo International: Venezuelan menu featuring arepas, empanadas, and more
- Kardelens Fiber Art: embroidered jewelry, water-marbeled fans, needlework, and traditional necklaces
- Kardelens Catering: traditional Turkish food including gözleme, baklava, stuffed grape leaves, and hummus
- Kenyan Craft Connection: Kenyan jewelry and crafts
- La Catrina on Wheels: enjoy traditional Mexican tacos, tamales, and Tex-Mex burritos, including vegan options
- La Dolce Vita Boutique: the best of Made in Italy plus jewelry made by Italian artists now living in Pittsburgh
- Leaf 2 Go: organic single-use compostable disposable plates made of fallen palm leaves
- Literacy Pittsburgh: helping local adults improve their reading, writing, math, and English language skills so that they can thrive as workers, parents, and neighbors
- Mary Martin: handmade artisanal ceramics
- MyJobShine: a permanent placement staffing agency serving the immigrant community in the STEM fields
- Pop Up in Pittsburgh: featuring unique 3D paper greeting cards from Vietnam combining traditional art with modern technology
- The Global Switchboard
- Three Little Monkeys USA: specializing in homemade jewelry and accessories
- U.S. Census Bureau: learn about 2020 Census jobs, partnership information, and more, along with giveaways
- Ultra Matcha: high-quality Japanese matcha green tea and unique herbal blends
- University of Pittsburgh Center for International Studies: supporting
global outreach and programming on campus and in the community
- Version Textile: women’s clothing, Turkish towels, and handmade accessories including ceramic jewelry, wall pictures, and more
- YOKO: Venezuelan gemstone jewelry handmade in Pittsburgh
Enjoy dancing, singing, live bands, and more on the World Square stage. Entertainment schedule subject to change.
Friday, September 6
5:00 – 6:00 p.m.: Kenia Ashby (Brazilian Jazz)
6:30 – 7:00 p.m.: Naina Kathak (Indian Dance)
7:00 – 7:45 p.m.: Balkan Babes (Balkan-Roma Band)
8:00 – 8:45 p.m.: Jemiriye (Nigerian Singer)
9:00 – 9:45 p.m.: Appalasia (Appalachian-Chinese Folk)
Friday, September 13
5:00 – 5:40 p.m.: Geña y Peña Bañuelos (Latin American/Carribbean)
6:00 – 6:45 p.m.: Jemiriye (Nigerian Singer)
6:45 – 7:00 p.m.: Nandanik Dance Troupe (Indian Dance)
7:00 – 7:45 p.m.: Noel Quintana & The Latin Crew (Latino Band)
8:00 – 8:30 p.m.: Pittsburgh Taiko (Japanese Drums)
8:30 – 9:00 p.m.: Naina Kathak (Indian Dance)
9:15 – 9:30 p.m.: Pitt FRESA (Japanese hip-hop)
Friday, September 27
5:00 – 5:50 p.m.: Hugo Cruz & the Caminos (Afro-Cuban Jazz)
6:00 – 6:45 p.m.: Pittsburgh Samba + Timbeleza (Samba Dancers + Live Band)
6:50 – 7:45 p.m.: Pittsburgh Samba + Timbeleza (Samba Dancers + Live Band)
8:00 – 8:30 p.m.: Bhutanese Community Association of Pittsburgh (Bhutanese dance)
8:30 – 9:00 p.m.: Purple Lotus Guzheng (Traditional Chinese Harpists)
9:15 – 9:30 p.m.: Nandanik Dance Troupe (Indian dance)
9:30 – 10:00 p.m.: DJ OSI – Tembo Sounds
Vendors are currently being sought. If you are interested, please fill out this application. For translation services, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Vendor Information (Translated)
Download the call for vendors to share in a variety of languages below.
World Square Call for Vendors, Burmese (PDF)
World Square Call for Vendors, Chinese (PDF)
World Square Call for Vendors, French (PDF)
World Square Call for Vendors, Nepali (PDF)
World Square Call for Vendors, Russian (PDF)
World Square Call for Vendors, Somali (PDF)
World Square Call for Vendors, Spanish (PDF)
World Square Call for Vendors, Swahili (PDF)
World Square Call for Vendors, Uzbek (PDF)
World Square is presented by Welcoming Pittsburgh and the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership, along with support from our partners: The Global Switchboard, Pittsburgh Hispanic Development Corportaion, Pittsburgh Metropolitan Area Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, Program for Immigrant-International Entrepreneurs (PIE), Duquesne University, PittGlobal, the University of Pittsburgh, VisitPittsburgh, Change Angency, Jewish Family and Community Services, Hello Neighbor, and Vibrant Pittsburgh.
Funding for World Square is generously provided by the Benedum Foundation.