|Busy Weekend Ahead for Downtown
August 4 – 6 EQT Pittsburgh Three Rivers Regatta
There are multiple road closures on the North Shore:
- Art Rooney Avenue will be closed Monday, July 31 at 6:00 a.m. through Monday, August 7 at 6:00 p.m.
- North Shore Way will be closed from the Casino to Tony Dorsett Way from Saturday, August 5 at 6:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Chuck Noll Way will be close from North Shore Way to the Alley behind Stage AE from Saturday, August 5 at 6:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Additionally, the Clemente Bridge will by closed from 9:00 a.m. on August 4 through 6:00 a.m. on August 7.
August 4 – 5, Dream on Festival
- in Market Square featuring music and ice cream – no road closures
August 4 – 6 Pirates home stand
- Friday August 4, game at 7:05 includes post-game concert by Chicago
- Saturday, August 5, game at 7:05
- Sunday, August 6, game at 1:35
August 6 – 2017 Family Fest and Steelers Practice
- at Heinz Field, 5:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Grant Street at Forbes to remain closed
All lanes of traffic around the Frick Building Downtown will remain closed for at least two weeks to promote public safety, existing traffic detours, and the erection of scaffolding and safety walls around the site.
The closures include Grant Street between Fifth and Forbes Avenues and Forbes Avenue from Grant Street to Cherry Way.
Engineers hired by the building’s owners are still writing a report on the condition of the Frick Building’s cornice, where a large section of granite was dislodged early Sunday and fell onto the street below, and plans to stabilize it.
With the long-term closure of Grant Street and Forbes Avenue that is necessary to complete the work, city crews will soon erect stronger barriers to keep pedestrians and vehicles away from the area. Many pedestrians have continued to pass under cordoned off parts of the streets and sidewalks around where the granite fell, however, so Pittsburgh Police warn that they will cite pedestrians for trespass if they enter the restricted area.
Parking restrictions around the area will stay in place.
Monthly Fashion Markets in Market Square
Calling all clothing, accessory, and shoe retailers! Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership’s monthly Fashion Markets are in full swing, but there are still vendor opportunities. The Fashion Market is a monthly, midday event in Market Square from June through September and feature a variety of fashion-related vendors. The next Market is August 14th from 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. This is a great opportunity for you to connect with new customers and make some great sales. For more information, or to sign-up to be a vendor, please visit http://downtownpittsburgh.com/fashion-market/.
State of Downtown Pittsburgh Report
Last month, the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership released the 2017 State of Downtown Pittsburgh report. The sixth annual publication provides a comprehensive look at economic development indicators in Downtown Pittsburgh, as well as data set comparisons to peer Central Business Districts. This size of this year’s State of Downtown Pittsburgh report is nearly 20 pages shorter than previous editions. However, the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership collected and analyzed more data than ever before. The printed report features high level statistics and data, with more detailed charts and graphs being shifted to the PDP’s website.
The PDP has enhanced the online offerings by utilizing a data visualization tool called Tableau. Users can view and interact with data and trends over multiple years, customize functionality to meet individual needs, and download data and reports for personal use. Much of the data will be updated more frequently and released via a new research newsletter that will debut in coming weeks. The complete report and additional data is available for download at DowntownPittsburgh.com/sodp.
Sidewalk Cafe Enchroachments
Outdoor dining season is well underway in Downtown Pittsburgh. Please keep in mind that all outdoor seating in the public right-of-way requires an annual permit and must still allow 5’ wide of passable pedestrian space to comply with ADA standards. Any encroachments into that 5’-width of passable space can result in a citation for your business.
For guidelines concerning how to set-up your patio space to ensure accessibility for all, please download the City of Pittsburgh’s template. For more information about what is and is not allowed with sidewalk cafes, please visit the City of Pittsburgh’s Checklist page. For all other inquires, contact the City of Pittsburgh HERE.
Market Square Summer Programming
The Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership is increasing programs in Market Square for the summer. A general list of when the Square will be in use is below. For more information, please email Keya Joseph. Additionally, each day in the Square will feature pop up games, a quiet corner known as the Reading Room and a Market Square Ambassador available to answer any questions.
• Yoga – 10:00 – 11:00 a.m. through September 24
• Move It Mondays – 12:00 – 1:00 p.m. and 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. through July 31
• Fashion Market – Monthly, 2nd Monday through September 11
• KidsPlay – 10:00 – 11:30 a.m. June 13 – August 29
• Mid Week Music In Market Square by CBS Radio 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. through August 23
• Yoga – 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. through September 27
• Farmers Market – 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. through October 26
• Market Square Summer Concert Series presented by Steel City Media 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. through August 25
• Dancing in the Square – 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. Only Fridays in June & August
• KidsPlay – 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. June 17 through August 26
• Night Market – 5:00 – 10:00 p.m. through October 28
Resources for Small Businesses
Easy & Affordable DIY Infographics for Your Business – SCORE Webinar – July 11, 2017
9 Secrets for Retail Success – SCORE Webinar – July 20, 2017
Upcoming Events, Large Conventions, and Conferences
ReplayFX Arcade and Gaming Festival – David L. Lawrence Convention Center – July 27 – 30, 2017
GNC Liberty Mile – Cultural District – July 28, 2017
- Road Closures: Penn Avenue from Fifth Avenue down to 11thStreet. 11th Street between Liberty and Penn Avenue. Liberty Avenue from 11th Street to Fifth Avenue.
Picklesburgh – 6th Street Bridge – July 28 – 29, 2017
- Road Closures: 6th Street Bridge
OpenStreetsPGH – Market Square to Strip District to Lawrenceville – July 30, 2017
- Downtown Road Closures – Market Square to Market Street to 6thStreet to Penn Avenue. Penn Avenue into the Strip District and beyond.